Environmental responsibility is embedded in our day-to-day operations. Moreover, we want to take the appropriate steps in meeting our net zero ambitions and reduce our operational emissions.
We also work with our partners to make an active effort to support the local environment on our sites. Working with environmental organisations we have developed initiatives that have encouraged and support the settlement and growth of new colonies of rare butterflies, moths and other insects and have introduced specific plant and flower species on site.
Our flagship operated asset, CATS, already has one of the lowest carbon intensities of all gas processing facilities in the UK but is focused on reducing its environmental impact further.
We have committed a multi-million pound budget to develop a range of energy efficiency projects, including flare gas recovery, which is predicted to reduce CATS overall emissions by a further 25% by 2025.
We support the development of several new technologies to more effectively prevent and continuously monitor for methane leakage. This involves the use of our facilities and personnel to prove concepts in real-world conditions with the aim of being an early adopter as these new technologies emerge.
The Tolmount platform is powered by a gas micro turbine, which reduces emissions versus traditional diesel-powered generation.
We also work with our partners to make an active effort to support our local environment on our sites. Working with environmental organisation on site there have been environmental initiatives that have supported encouraged the settlement and growth of new colonies of rare butterflies, moths and other insects as well as introduced appropriate plant and flower species on site.
Zero Waste to Landfill
Our aim to send zero waste to landfill is achieved through collaborating with waste management services that strive to ensure that landfill is the last resort for our waste streams. In addition, we avoid single use plastics wherever possible and encourage recycling practices in our offices.
Measuring our Carbon Intensity performance
Kellas carbon and energy intensities have remained flat over the last few years in spite of a significant increase in throughput in 2019. Efficient operations at the CATS terminal have resulted in a stable energy intensity and carbon intensity figure for the last two years.
CATS has one of the lowest carbon intensities of all gas processing facilities in the UK with at least 60% of the electricity requirement being generated onsite from “waste” process energy, the remaining 40% being imported via the national grid, from entirely renewable sources.
Implementing the energy efficiency and emissions reduction projects identified in 2020 will enable us to further reduce carbon intensity.
Kellas 2022 ESG Report
Read our 2022 ESG report which highlights how environmental responsibility is embedded in our day-to-day operations and find out about the work we are doing to meet our net zero ambitions and reduce our operational emissions.
Kellas Midstream Limited
7th Floor, The Silver Fin Building
455 Union St